MARCH 1894- L. Snyder's Department Store opened for business in Norfolk, Virginia, founded by Louis Snyder's great grandfather. The 300-employee store operated for 75 years until 1969 and was a historical landmark in downtown Norfolk. The firm was later acquired by U.S. Sales Corporation. The L. Snyder’s' division of U.S. Sales celebrated 100 years of merchandising in Virginia in 1994.
NOVEMBER 1945- Norfolk Distributing Company (NDC) was established in Norfolk, Virginia, by Louis Snyder’s father, Harry L. Snyder. The Firm operated as a wholesaler and distributor to the East Coast Military Exchange Trade, as well as many Virginia retail accounts. The Firm specialized in consumer electronics, housewares, hardware, sporting goods/fishing tackle, household appliances, garden supplies, camping equipment, clocks, and firearms. NDC was considered a specialist in merchandising quality hard-goods and carried only the finest name brands with the highest prestige and consumer acceptance.
JANUARY 1962- United States Sales Corporation (USSC) absorbed Norfolk Distributing Company and discontinued all product warehousing and distribution in favor of exclusively ‘representing’ manufacturers to the Military Exchange System. Many of the Norfolk Distributing Company brands later became exclusively represented to the Military Exchange Trade through U.S. Sales, and the retail consumer accounts were discontinued.
As USSC continued its successful journey, the firm continually outgrew its facilities. Our business began at 135 Church Street (now St. Paul's Boulevard) in Norfolk, Virginia; moving to the foot of Jackson Street; then growing again to a four-story office/warehouse at 124 West Water Street (the building was formerly occupied by Swift & Company). An office and showroom was later established in the Law Building at Plume and Granby Streets in Norfolk. Later, an office was added at the Mayflower Apartments in Virginia Beach, and several years later we expanded further to a new office in the Kellam & Eaton Insurance Building on Pacific Avenue, also in Virginia Beach.
APRIL 1962- We continued our growth/success and moved into a dedicated and newly constructed office building at 1353 Laskin Road in Virginia Beach.
AUGUST 1971- The next Headquarters Office of U.S. Sales was moved to a newly constructed building in the Lynnhaven Industrial Park at 2644 Barrett Street, where we remained for 11 years.
DECEMBER 1982- We moved to a newly constructed 9,000 s.f. Corporate Headquarters Office Building at 2697 Dean Drive, Virginia Beach, where we were located for nearly 20 years.
OCTOBER 2001- We moved to our new state-of-the-art, 10,000 sq. ft. Virginia Beach Headquarters at Lynnwood Plaza Suite 100, 621 Lynnhaven Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23452, remaining in close proximity to NEXCOM & CGES Headquarters, thereby enhancing our ability to conduct major product reviews and frequent, and convenient, buyer visitations.